Wednesday, October 16, 2013

This community

So, being a parent of a child with Down Syndrome has helped me to discover that I am automatically part of a community. It is a beautiful and wonderful community. We can make friends wherever we go. Here is an example...


Yesterday while we were taking a break from Christmas shopping (yes, we are starting early this year because we normally start way too late). Anyway, we stopped to eat lunch and ended up sitting two tables away from a woman having lunch with her sister. I started to play peekaboo with her daughter and this little girl happened to have Down Syndrome. She was just so stinkin' cute and I kept fighting the immediate urge to go introduce myself to her mother. Jordan said, "just go over there, you would love it if someone did that to you". And I couldn't argue with that, the man was absolutely right.

So I journeyed on over there. I introduced myself and then explained that my little girl has Down Syndrome. Immediately this woman's face brightened with a huge smile and we were instantly engaged in a great conversation. By the time I left the table we had exchanged numbers and were planning a play date. When she left the restaurant she came over and hugged me. See? I LOVE being part of this community! A community where friendship is imminent, love is abundant, and good feelings abound.

This is life at its greatest!!!!

1 comment:

Angie said...

You're kids and nutella! ha! They're all ADDICTED!!! :) But it's sooooo SWEET to see!!!