Friday, October 18, 2013

Jordan is picking up my slack

    Howdy again, it’s Jordan Hansen J
    As you all know, I can be very blunt, I do it with the best intentions for my daughter’s sake, my family’s sake, and for the sakes of everyone who ends up on this page, Because I know you’re here for a reason.
    I wanted to tell everyone thank you all very much for reading my wife’s blog. She works very hard to express how blessed we feel. We hope that by reading these posts you are inspired with courage, hope, and a new desire to be like these wonderful people. There are many people out there who come across this milestone in their life, the milestone of raising, living with, or being a person with any kind of physical difficulty or handicap. If it’s one thing I want to get across to people it’s that there is absolutely no reason to fear. As long as things are taken one day at a time, step by step, the only thing that will happen is the growing of love, and pure joy among everyone. I’m not going to lie, it can break your heart to not be able to hear words yet from your 2 year old’s mouth.  Obviously there can be some physical challenges out there, but particularly in the case of a person with Down syndrome, the benefits certainly outweigh the minor few things that for no reason are brought up (Most of the time by our own mind). Ironically enough this fear is only ever brought about, or experienced by people who know nothing about, and have never spent time with a person with Down syndrome. I hope that you can imagine the heart wrenchingly wonderful moment when she was able to start signing for more, and when she gets thirsty. That moment, and hundreds of other insignificant (to other people) moments is what makes it all worth it.
    Fortunately, forgiveness is one of their best attributes. Unlike us, being judgmental of others is unheard of. As a parent however that is the thing we worry about the most, the thought that others will think that they’re less of a human being than they are. In all reality, when you spend time with these angels, the thought that their feelings may be hurt is my biggest fear. Like us, they will one day want a boyfriend, want to get married, and want to have a child of their own. This is the situation I personally dread the most. These things can happen, often, but sometimes they just don’t and we are going to have to be the one to break it to them. But like I said, they will understand and are forgiving of it. They will forgive you, the extra chromosome, and yes even themselves. That’s what’s so wonderfully different about them, is their willingness to push on, despite their limitations, and trials, the question is, is can we be just as strong for them?
      Thank you all very much again. Like I said, we are trying to get this word out, so please share this on your Facebook and wherever else, and comment to let us know you’re hearing us J
      God bless,

                         The Hansen’s. 

No comments: