Sunday, October 13, 2013

How Kloey sees Kloey

Never fear... I did not forget today. I just worked insanely long today and had to do it when I got off. So today I want to talk about how Kloey sees herself. She's only two right? How could I really know that? But I really do.
 Here is my Klo Bow doing two of her favorite things. First, looking at herself in the mirror. Second, stealing my toothbrush and sucking on it. I know, I know... gross right? But think about her looking at herself. She certainly does not see Down Syndrome when she looks in the mirror. She sees Kloey. She plays with Kloey. She learns and she grows.
Everyone is a person with hopes, dreams, fears, aspirations, love, and emotions. My daughter sees herself as a little girl, nothing more and nothing less. She is not less of a person because she has Down Syndrome. She is not less of a daughter. She is not less of a sister. She is not less of a friend.

See, Klo actually loves herself on a level that most of us can't even comprehend. I can see that in her eyes and actions as she does anything that she can do just to smile at herself in the mirror. Heck, if her smile makes others so happy, why wouldn't it make her happy?
Someday Kloey will realize that she has Down Syndrome. She will realize that others believe that she is different. And she will certainly learn that some people will avoid looking into her eyes, or talking to her. However, I don't believe that will phase her very much. It will certainly affect me, but maybe not her so much. Because she loves herself. She loves people. She loves. That's what she does. And she does it well.

No comments: