Monday, October 14, 2013

A look to last year

Another look to one of my favorite posts from last year. I hear some mothers say that they would change their children if they could. I don't believe in that. I would not change Kourtney or Kloey. Enjoy.


Let me start by saying that today is one of those days that really needs to be a productive sort of day. A day in which tasks are in desperate need of completion and chores are piling up in a neverending sort of way. A day where your mind is screaming, "Get your butt in gear sister! Your move is only a week away!!!" and even that revelation doesn't seem to do much in the way of motivation. Yes, today is that day. That day when I want to say "eh, whatever" and sit down with a bowl of chex muddy buddies (which I have on hand) and have a Gossip Girl marathon (don't judge). But, alas, it shall not be. SIGH

So, Kloey has learned a new trick. "Sharing" her food with us. Oh boy, was she excited to share her delicious grilled cheese sandwich with Mommy and Daddy. I was so excited! So so excited when she lifted her sandwich up for me to take a bite. It's something that I never really thought about with Kourtney. Kourtney just did it. Now, it is such a big deal. And it led me to this thought, "would I change you?". I've been asked that question about Kloey so many times from so many different people. If I had the chance, would I change her? Such a serious question deserves some serious thought... so I thought about it...


My answer is a resounding NO!!! No, I would not change her if I could. No, I would not take the extra chromosome away from her. No, I would not take the Down Syndrome out of Klo. It is for this simple reason; if you take the Down Syndrome out of Klo... then she is not Klo. She would be someone else entirely. Down Syndrome does not define who she is, true enough, but it will FOREVER be part of who she is! The moment that I knew for a fact that she had Down Syndrome the first thing I did was kiss her and tell her that I love her. The second thing that I did was promise to always and forever be there for her and protect her and fight for her. The third thing was a bit shocking for me at the time... but the third thing I did was look at her and realize one very important thing... I WOULD NOT CHANGE YOU FOR THE ANYTHING!!! YOU ARE MY BABY GIRL! YOU ARE PERFECT JUST THE WAY YOU ARE! AND YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!

Happy Down Syndrome Awareness month... 12 entries to go!

No comments: