Saturday, October 19, 2013

Another cheat

This particular post from last year got many private comments from my viewers. So I am excited to share it again this year. As for it being soooo late, I completely forgot about my blog tonight. I've been working crazy long hours and then when I got home it was all about babies and bedtime and late night snuggles. Those are very important. So, here you are.

Have we been doing this for 11 days already?!!! FANTASTIC!!!

So, I want to know if anyone out there has any questions about Down Syndrome. As this is Down Syndrome Awareness month it only seems right to maybe answer a question or two... or seven from readers. It can be ANYTHING!!! So, leave a comment on here... or send me a message on facebook .

Today, let's focus on Klo Bow's sweet happiness. It's true, she is much happier than Kourtney was at her age... much happier.  She is so laid back that it makes me feel bad for being so high strung sometimes. Really, Kourtney and I are a lot alike in the fact that we can be pretty high maintenance, I'll admit it.  Heck, the child barely cried when she was born. She had more the attitude of... "Welp... I'm here. I'm with my mommy and daddy. It's a bit brighter than I expected. No use cryin'... can't change things." Yeah.... love this kid.

Now, let me clarify. Just because my Klo Bow is happy pretty much all of the time does not mean that all people/children with Down Syndrome are happy all of the time. (although, I've never come across one that wasn't unless they not only had Down Syndrome but something else as well) When Klo does cry it only lasts for about 30 seconds... not even that long. She was fussy yesterday though. And when I mean fussy I mean she was making a lot of small noises that other mothers would never dream of calling "fussy". But that is Kloey and I know her cues.  However, I had to keep telling her "no" and re-directing her when she wouldn't leave something alone the other day and she got thoroughly upset with me. She started crying and then banged her head into my chest out of frustration. Seriously, that hurt.

But, like I said, to say that all people with Down Syndrome are like this is probably not accurate. The simple truth is that every person in this world is an individual. They have their own spirit, their own personality, their own conscience. Down Syndrome is an extra chromosome... it's not defined as "an extra chromosome 21 that therefore creates clones throughout the world".... no, every person has their own personality... even those with Down Syndrome.

However, I do believe that the extra chromosome is an extra love chromosome. I've said in an earlier post that I've worked with Down's people for sooo long and they ALL seemed to possess extra love. Except one girl. She suffered from some mental illnesses (Down Syndrome is NOT a mental illness) that made her pretty unreachable. Anyway... What great teachers they have been for me of acceptance and love. My goodness... it's too bad that we don't all have an extra love chromosome... but we can fill that hole by spreading love and acceptance of ALL people.

Next time you're out and about, say hi to that woman that has Down Syndrome... Smile at the man in the wheel chair... Stand up for what is right... Put a little more love into your life and into the world!


1 comment:

Angie said...

Just a thought for a blog...how would you're life be if Kloey was born first? I was just thinking about that, how at times you have struggled with Kloey being behind. When on the other hand there was Kourtney who excelled. What if they had been born differently? Klo first, then Kourt? Do you think you would have been so critical on yourself as a parent for trying to get Kloey to understand things if you wouldn't have had the experience from Kourtney? Does that make sense? My personal opinion is God knew what He was doing (obviously) with the order He chose. But just thought I'd play devils advocate. More on my thoughts if you post that blog! :) (no pressure if you don't)