Friday, October 12, 2012

Wow... just Twenty more to go.

Down Syndrome Awareness month... I love it!

My dear friend Angie left a comment on my post from yesterday. She has given me permission to use her comment on my blog today... here goes.

"She is just ABSOLUTELY DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!!! This picture is FANTASTIC!! :) With down's I know that she is prone to more health problems mainly heart and GI...I was wondering if she's doing good in those aspects? I know her heart has gotten better, thank GOD! :) And I guess when I first met her I'll admit I was nervous to be around her, because even though I've worked with people with down's, I'd never been around a baby with down's. I was more scared to drop her than I was Kourtney!! And it might have just been because I was rusty on holding newborns, lol...but I remember feeling nervous to hold her. Nervous to hurt her. I almost didn't even want to touch her, because she looked so fragile. But then she smiled at me, and I was hooked! :)"

First, let me just say that Angie wasn't the only one that was a bit more nervous about Klo Bow. It was easy to be nervous about holding her for a very long time simply because her muscle tone was so low that it did make her feel very fragile. But once you learned that she wasn't quite that fragile... it got easier.

Second, yes a lot of children with Down Syndrome have heart and GI problems. Kloey was born with an ASD. That wouldn't require open heart surgery but there are others that would need it. Because I am no expert on medical issues and terminology... here is  a link to common health issues in children with Down Syndrome. 

I feel very blessed that Kloey has only had some minor forms of these health issues. Something that did happen when she was born was that she could not breathe well on her own. Her oxygen percentages were constantly at 50 and below when she was off of oxygen. Poor baby. Her blood was also extremely thick, a condition known as Polycythemia. It was very hard to get an I.V. into her as well. Here is a picture of our Klo Bow all hooked up. 

That was a very hard week for us.


2 comments:

PB and JS said...

Leighton had the thick blood too. Did klo have to have a transfusion? The oxygen too, we called her the purple baby. Sounds a lot like Leightons birth.

Stephanie said...

No. Luckily no transfusion. I don't know if they even considered that. I do know that her blood was pretty thick. poor thing.