Monday, October 8, 2012

24 more... Mother's thoughts

Continuing with our Down Syndrome awareness month. Let me just say, I feel wonderful that they have an entire month dedicated to this. I love my Kloey Alice. I love her sooo much that it's overwhelming. But before I had a child with down syndrome, I worked with people with disabilities. One summer I worked as a camp counselor at a camp for people with disabilities. It was one of the best summers of my life! All people are special. All people deserve happiness. All people deserve to be loved.

So, today I wanted to tap in on some reality. I want to share some real feelings of mine. While the feelings of fear and the feelings of unknown have largely gone away, there are still concerns and worries that I have. Please do not judge me for these. I am just being very real.

The other day a random, fleeting thought crossed my mind. "What if Kloey had been "typical" just like Kourtney??? How would my life be different???

What will happen when someone calls Kloey a retard? I know that will happen. How will Kourtney react? How will I react? How will Jordan react? How will Klo Bow react?

What if her teachers don't expect anything from her?

Will she receive the best education possible?

Children at school flock around Kourtney so much that she gets overwhelmed by her own popularity (really, I've seen this) will it be the same for Kloey?

Will children shun and reject her because she looks a little bit different?

Why do people stare? I wish they would stop staring.

Stop saying you're sorry to hear that Kloey has Down Syndrome.

Stop saying "poor baby" when we tell you she has Down Syndrome.

We've been working for so long on this one milestone... why isn't she getting it? what am I doing wrong? Why isn't she progressing?

When will Kourtney notice that Kloey is "different"?

When will Kloey know that she is "different"?

These are some thoughts that occasionally enter my mind. Honestly, they don't invade my thoughts very often. But, I really just felt that I wanted to share with you that yes, sometimes I am weak. But it never lasts long. Sometimes I cry. Not because I am sad for myself... but because of what she MAY have to face in her life. Please do not be cruel to someone that is different than you are. Because in all actuality, everyone is different from you. It's just that when it comes to Down Syndrome the difference is in their appearance. It's obvious that they are different. Like I said, everyone is different. Give them a chance. Don't be cruel. They are people, just like you. Maybe someday you'll have a child, or a niece, or a nephew, or even a grandchild that has Down Syndrome... and then you would really regret having ever made fun of or been cruel to another human being. Just don't do it. Spread love and understanding. Not confusion and fear of the "unknown".

I desperately hope that this blog is reaching someone. I hope that this is helping someone... anyone. Anyway, back tomorrow. Much love!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your honesty. I love all these blogs!! Seriously! They are FANTASTIC!! People NEED to know these things! They need to understand and see that just because your different you're not really different at all! I think your honesty is refreshing and much needed! I don't think you should ever feel guilty for your thoughts. You're a mother who wants the very BEST for both of your children! And there is nothing more you could want! I think there is MUCH to learn from each of these blogs. I think they're encouraging and inspiring. I think they are a much need for those who are unaware. I applaud you and your bravery! Thank you for blogging and for bringing out the truths and the fears and the loves and the successes and the struggles in raising a child with a disability. She is WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL, MAGNIFICENT, and above all PERFECT! I wouldn't want Kloey any other way! Keep your chin up and hang in there! You are a WONDERFUL mother and you have a BLESSED family! I love you!