Tuesday, October 30, 2012

3 to go... Jordan's turn!

       Hello readers, my name is Jordan Hansen, the husband of the wonderful Stephanie. She really is an incredible woman, someone that I and many others look up to. My favorite thing about her is her humility, she has never once thought herself better than another. She's always so overjoyed by those of you who follow and read her blog, and who have just been there for her. As this month comes to a close, down syndrome awareness month does too, but please don't think it's the end of Stephanie's uplifting, loving thoughts. This is just the first spark of a large fire that will continue to bring to light worlds of information on many subjects. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful woman build me up and put up with me! I often tell people that there is no way I could ever separate myself from her, because there's no other woman in the world that would deal with my off the wall-ness, and sometimes just plain ludracrasity. Lucky for her I get to put up with her's too. And now we have to put up with our two little clones!
               
           Kourtney, our oldest little creation of perfection has given us a marathon for our money. What a darling, and stubborn as can be. I truly believe that our Heavenly Father and Creator, decided that Kloey needed a protector in her life, especially because it seems things can be even worse for these little angels. People can be ill-informed, careless, and just plain harsh when it comes to talking about and even to a person with an extra chromosome. I know that with an adoring loving big sister, she will have a chance to enjoy this world, and help others to also come to an understanding of her. She's never had  baby jealousy or shown any kind of resentment towards her. since day one it's been wanting to hold, snuggle and love her. She doesn't even like to go to sleep without her in the same room. I know this will never change, and am so grateful for her. I'm not saying every sibling is going to be this accepting of this challenge, but I do know that there is potential for both the child and its siblings to have a lifelong friend, companion, and confidant.

          Uninformed. That was, is still, and will always be me. For this I'm assuming could be a reason you're here. Thank you so much for learning and getting to know this seemingly secret world of pure joy. I was always under the impression growing up that all of the downs kids just liked to be in their own class, learning at their own slow pace, away from everyone and by themselves. First thing I realized: Downs people are not just in "their own" category. They're just like you and me, and want to be considered as such. they can and do learn, they can and do interact, they can and do laugh, and love, just like everyone else, even more-so I've also come to realize! they work harder than any of us and would surpass us in any challenge if we put as much effort as they did into making a challenge a success. I'm convinced the only person that would make fun of, not include, or not just completely fall in love with a person with DS is someone who hasn't taken time to get to know them. Ironically enough, if the abortion rates were not so high for them, there'd be more than 9 times the amount of love and understanding going throughout the world than there is now. Many people abort for that reason alone, that they feel they will be alienated by their family and friends. If that be the case, are these the kind of people you want surrounding you?

          My parents got to spend an evening with our two girls and had a wonderful time. My Dad who has been learning just as I have been, thought up something very clever to say in the meeting of another parent of a person with trisomy 21. He decided that when he saw such a parent instead of others usual comments like, "I'm sorry to hear that", or "that's so hard",  he'd say "You must have done something very wonderful to deserve a baby with down syndrome." These were some of the sweetest words I've ever heard my dad say.

           During Steph's pregnancy with Kloey I decided to get to know a little bit about trisomy 21 and it  wasn't easing my worry a lot. A lot of the problem was, is, that I had just been reading statistics, and numbers, and doctors thoughts. I never really got to learn from an actual parent the joys that are waiting to come from them. They have unconditional love, a smile that could melt the ugliest frowny face, and a personality you can't help but want to be around. Also, please do remember that each one of them is different between themselves and those who weren't blessed with an extra chromosome. Their personality's  tolerances, interests, and desires are all different, just like ours. Down syndrome is not what Kloey is, It's part of who she is. Steph thought of that saying and it's so true. I was honestly never very scared, just a little wary and more worried for my wife. As soon as that baby came out though, that worry diminished, and I knew their bond was eternal. God had made a plan for this family since before we were even around. We had all known each other before this life, and that bond was just re-realized. Our Kourtney bear proved that there was no need to have fear or worry, with her instant bond to Kloey.

             Sorry for the very long and late entry, I hope it helped someone. Please refer your friends and loved ones here, even if they have no direct affiliation a a person enjoying down syndrome. We love you all and wish that you'll continue to join us on our crazy family adventures that are only just beginning.
                                                God bless!
                                                                   * Jordan Hansen (The one she puts up with)



         

3 comments:

Angie said...

Oh Joedan! Such wonderful words to read and to really digest. I'm so glad you guys are a part of our lives! It's truly inspiring reading these blogs and learning what it's like first hand to be a parent of a special person. What you two have done this past month has informed and transformed my ideas and my views towards people in general, not just those that have downs. It makes me realize that we really need to strive to see the good in everyone and to be less judgmental and more loving. After all, who are we to judge? Every person has feelings, personality, family, friends, and differences in their lives. I feel that times we just feel that it's easier to not accept them as they are because that is something foreign and frightening to us. When really it's something very EXCITING!!! I'm so blessed to know you ALL and to be a part of your lives! Your daughters have touched my soul and are a permanent part of me! I thank you both for all that you do and for your love towards others as well as your love for God! Keep the faith and keep loving! You are wonderful people! Love you both!

PB and JS said...

That is so awesome Jordan was wiling to do this. Dads need a voice to listen to too.

Stephanie said...

Jordan- You guys are too kind! Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I am so lucky to have wonderful friends and family. I love you guys!