Thursday, October 18, 2012

We have 14 to go!

Some days I wake up and when I open my eyes it seems as though I have been transformed into a fire breathing dragon. Under these circumstances it seems fair to walk around with a warning on my shirt: "WARNING: Do Not touch, feed, tease, poke, annoy, hug, kiss, talk to, or look at the dragon... you will burn and die. Dragon cannot be held responsible for her actions. Best of days to you". I should make a sign like that.

So, getting down to business and tackling another post for Down Syndrome Awareness. Here goes:

Subject: Down Syndrome Awareness
Topic: Getting Scientific
Pic: below... Kloey one or two months before birth... making me huge. I almost wasn't brave enough to post this.

  •  1 in every 800 babies are born with Down Syndrome in the United States.
  • The 21st chromosome is the smallest human chromosome. Thought that was interesting.
  • An extra chromosome from the sperm or egg is mostly what causes Down Syndrome.
  • This copy occurs either before or at conception.
  • There is NOTHING you can do to change or prevent this.
  • 88% of these cases show that the extra chromosome came from the egg.
Pic Below: Kloey's 3D ultrasound. Around 34 weeks. Just so sweet.


  • Certain characteristics come with the extra chromosome.
  • Almond shaped eyes, or eyes have a sort of slant.
  • straight palmar crease on the hand.
  • Separation between big toe and second toe.
  • One single joint on the pinky finger.
  • Low muscle tone.
  • Heart defects.
  • Difficulty breathing on own at birth.
  • Polycythemia or really thick blood.
Below Pic: Klo Bow all hooked to everything that helped to keep her alive the first week of her life.


  • People with Down Syndrome are developmentally delayed to some degree.
  • Some will not walk until age 4... still others may walk at 2.
  • Yes, Down Syndrome brings with it some form of mental retardation. The severity level just depends on the individual.
  • It takes a bit longer, but they will learn everything that needs to be learned to be self sufficient. There are those cases that are extremely severe.
  • They will dress themselves.
  • They will walk.
  • They will date.
  • They will talk.
  • They will go to school.
  • They will have a job.
There you have it. A bit of science to help explain things. Some of the things I've just learned over time. But here is a link to where I got some of my information. Much love!



2 comments:

Angie said...

You're just so dang CUTE when your preggers!!! I know that's NOT how you feel, but that is an adorable picture! And thank you for the information about down's. As usual I find these posts most wonderful and helpful! :) And Thank GOD Kloey made it!! :) I guess reading this makes me realize how severe things really were when she was first born. I didn't know it was as bad as it was. I almost wish I had reached out more seeing this now. Dang you for keeping me in the shadows!! (I'd say dark...but that's not quite the case, you did keep me somewhat up to date and for that I shall forgive you.) :) But seriously, reading this just makes me that much MORE grateful that she survived her first week!! Love you guys!

Stephanie said...

As usual, your comment has made my day! Once again, thanks for always being there and keeping up with my blog. I love you dearly!