Wednesday, October 24, 2012

8 More --- Nana's story

First of all, I would just like to say that I feel quite privileged to have this opportunity to be a part of this "story". Anyone who knows me, knows that my Grandchildren are the light of my life. I love spending time reading, playing, baking, just about anything with them.

The story with Kloey began when Steph was pregnant with her. (Some of this Steph is just going to learn through this blog) She had talked to me on the phone about some of her fears, and I remember telling her that it was pretty normal to have fears about your unborn baby. She and Kourtney came for a visit when she was about 6 months along, and she had been having troubling thoughts and feelings. I told her that she should pray about these feelings, because there are some questions that only Heavenly Father could answer. Of course I knew that is exactly what she would do. I had then talked with Steph again, and she was very overwhelmed by these thoughts of DS. She had prayed, but was not scared. I became increasingly concerned for Steph, and began to pray. I remember the night Kloey was born, (the only Grandchild whose birth I had not been there for) it was a long night. I sat on the phone most of it while on speaker phone. Very different. Steph had said to me, "Mom something is not right with her, and they keep telling me that they don't see anything". So Ran and I prayed some more, so that I would know how to guide and help our Daughter. A few days later after tests results had come back, sure enough she has DS. I kept telling myself "Be strong for her, she needs you to be strong!" All I wanted to do was hold my baby, and hers. I knew that I loved her beyond measure, but I was very worried about MY daughter. I had NO doubt that she loved Kloey, but I did know that she was grieving. I would listen and encourage her, and then get off the phone and fall apart. Ran and I would pray, and I would cry. I did not fall apart because my Grandbaby had DS, I fell apart for my baby. I had been reading up on what Parents go through, and I knew that she needed me. I HATED being so far away. She and I would talk many times a day. I knew in my heart that Kloey had the best Parents EVER! I just needed Steph to know it. There was never any question that our family would be accepting. One thing about us is that we love one another through thick and thin, and when one is in need everyone gathers around them. We may have been far away, but only by miles.


I could not wait to meet my new Grandbaby! I needed more than anything to hold her, and to love her. Mostly to be with my Daughter. I can not put into words the feelings of helplessness and longing to be with her. Of all the situations that she had been in, I was ALWAYS there. Now here she was going through this, and I could not be with her. I began researching and buying books, anything that I could think of to help her. Mostly...praying...praying...praying...! Over this past year, and a few visits, I never thought that I could be more proud of her. Her desire is to help her Daughter, love her, and teach her just like Kourtney. I know my Daughter, she is strong, she will be a wonderful Mother to both of her children. I feel so honored to be Kloey's Nana, and so honored to BE a Nana.

Now I get to share some pics. Hope you enjoy them, as they are just some candid shots of family.








3 comments:

PB and JS said...

I love this. Good idea having your Mom's input.

Angie said...

Thank you Nana Schpef for sharing your thoughts!!! :) I think that Steph and Jordan are just wonderful parents to their children! I couldn't agree more with you that Steph is a GREAT mom! :)

Stephanie said...

This is so touching and I just love what my mother had to say! Love you all!!!