Monday, December 21, 2009

So Big!


When did she get so big? Wasn't it just yesterday that I held her for the first time?
When did her smile become so frequent, so natural...
wasn't it just yesterday that I longed for that first grin,
to let me know that there was a person inside?

When did you start laughing?
Has it been that long ago?
You say words, point at things, recognize your name....
sometimes your understanding blows my mind!
My sweet girl, how are you so big?

When did she not need me to move around,
to eat and drink,
to play and have fun...
she can do this by herself?!
When did she start to crawl and walk and run?
My life is skipping quickly by!

When did you start to love me?
Will I always be your closest friend?
Will you always run to hug and kiss me
and beg me to play with you
and tickle you?

When will life slow down?
When will time freeze
just so that I can hold you,
knowing that you don't grow up,
that you always need me,
that you always want me close....

My baby, grow as you must,
I'll always watch in wonder and awe.

But know that no matter how big you get....
You're my tiny newborn baby,
and I'm kissing your forehead for the first time.





2 comments:

Angie said...

I can't believe how big she's gotten, how smart she's become, and how wonderful she is! She is a constant amazement in my life, just to watch her bloom and grow. I do miss the days of just holding her, but I do like the days of now. She's a wonderful little girl, Steph, I'm proud of you!

Stephanie said...

o why thankyou!