Monday, October 3, 2016

Our Bond

When I was pregnant with Kloey I had a very hard time feeling any deep connection to her. I didn't know her; I didn't know for sure that she had down syndrome. For some reason I struggled with this and I never did with Kourtney so it was a very new experience for me.


But I will never forget the love and overwhelming sense of protection that I got when I found out for sure that she had down syndrome. Isn't that funny? The thing that I was so incredibly afraid of throughout my whole pregnancy had just come to fruition and I reacted in the exact opposite way that I thought I would. Kloey was mine. Period. And that meant that it was now my time to hit the ground running and give her the best life I could.


Luckily, we all felt that way. Initially, I was nervous about how Kourtney would react to Kloey when we brought her home. But she didn't even notice (of course she didn't, she was 3) and she was just super excited to have her baby home. Since day one Kourtney has been phenomenal with Kloey. Sibling rivalry wasn't even a thing in our home until Joseph came along and took Kloey's "baby" status from her. And to this day Kourtney works hard with her little sister and explains to strangers or friends that her sister has down syndrome... and you better not have a problem with that.


Jordan went through a bit of depression after Kloey was born. It wasn't anything huge and I know that he is okay with me sharing that because I'm pretty open about my own struggles. Despite that small amount of time he came to be our rock. I've never seen a man love his children so much and it is absolutely NO different with our Kloey. He is the light of her life. In fact, she calls us both "Daddy". She won't bother to say mommy but she's got daddy down just fine!!!

Joseph is her best friend now... but we'll get to that a little further in our history since he came 3 years after she did. :)



No comments: