Thursday, March 21, 2013

3:21

World Down syndrome Day!

Kloey Alice Hansen is now 19 months old. When people first meet her they are almost always oohing and aahing. It is quite a sight. She just eats it up and puts on a little show. My Kloey has Down syndrome, or  Trisomy 21. This does not make me sad, angry, scared, or worried. Truthfully I still have my moments but they are fleeting and few. Remembering back to the day that she was born I find it hard to imagine that the feelings that were going through me were actually mine. I thought I knew what I wanted. I thought I wanted a different child. I thought that Klo would be too much. I thought that she came to the wrong person. I thought wrong.

Little Miss Klo Bow is a pure treasure, a delight, a joy. At times she is my only sanity in this world plum full of people, places, and things that lend to my INsanity! This child is my rock. This child is her sister's rock. This child is her father's rock. What I mean by that is that she keeps us rooted in remembrance of what is really important in our lives. She is love. She is patience. She is kindness. She is funny. She is loud. She is forgiving. She is calm. She is smart, oh so smart. She sees things that we and the world probably do not.

Today, I am a much more accepting person than I was 19 months ago. When I see someone who may be a bit different than I am I make sure that they are treated just the same as everyone else. I have learned that you cannot judge a book by its cover. I have learned that happiness in life is loving and serving. I have learned to accept what God has given me and thank him for it every single day. I have learned to answer someone's curious stares with a smile, and a nod, and occasionally a "Yes, she has Down syndrome" when they say it under their breath to whoever they're with. And this usually strikes up a marvelous conversation that ends in great feelings for everyone.

Today is a day to celebrate Kloey Alice Hansen. Today is a day to celebrate those who help us to learn and grow. Today is a day to celebrate differences and acceptance. Today is a day to celebrate love. Today is a day to celebrate Trisomy 21.

Today is World Down Syndrome Day.


No comments: